Friday, September 22, 2006

Creativity

I have to give you some background on why I love to create lately. When I was a kid I loved to make things out of whatever I could find. I can remember sitting in my room at night and making birthday presents, mothers day gifts and whatever else I could think of. Creativity obviously wasn't a big thing in our home because we never had anything to create with, like paint, tape, glue, colored paper or any of that kind of thing. I made glue from flour and water, gum or whatever else would stick. I used to sneak my scissors home from school so I could have something to cut with. My Grandmother and Mother were creative but I didn't live with them most of the time. On Easter they would make Easter eggs out of sugar that had little scenes inside of them made from icing. My Grandmother was a cake decorator, she also taught me how to use a sewing machine and crochet. Anyway, the whole point is that eventually I quit because there were more important things to do like homework (gag) and boys!

A good friend of mine, Ren, started giving creativity workshops here in P'cola some yrs ago. I wasn't interested because I wasn't creative. I don't know why I knew that but I just did. Then she started an email group called Imagination Tribe which I didn't join either because I wasn't creative. I knew that. One day at one of our homeschool group park days, another member of IT brought in a circle journal that they had passed around the country and even sent overseas. Everybody had done a few pages and it was beautiful. Ren asked me if I wanted to do a page , there were still a couple left. Of course I said no, I'm not creative. The more I thought about it the more I wanted to try it. Ren of course who is nothing if not persistent offered the book again when we were leaving and so I took it home and nervously created a page. I was afraid I was going to ruin this book that all of these talented and artistic women had put so much into. It didn't turn out too bad so I finally joined the email group and Tori and I started trading ATC's. Talk about anxiety, that first trade almost did me in. I knew mine wouldn't be as good as the rest. Tori on the other hand sat and did twenty of these things never thinking that they weren't great. Since then, we've traded more ATC's, altered tins and are working on a bunch of other things. One trade is for dolls, made out of whatever you want. I tried my hand at that today and I like my creation. I don't think I'll trade him though, he's my first and I want to keep him. It's fun and I don't know that I'm not creative anymore. In fact, I'm pretty positive that I am! Thanks Ren, even though I get nothing else done these days I'm glad you are persistent! And thanks to all the members of the Imagination Tribe for being so supportive of those of us who just knew we couldn't do it.

My 'doll' His head and hair is sculpey. I hot glued that onto a piece of scrap balsa wood and went from there.

7 comments:

Ren Allen said...

"Ren of course who is nothing if not persistent"

Who ME??? Why I'm just a sweet, quiet lil thing. hehe

I LOVE, love, love the doll. Isn't it cathartic? There's something really magical about creating funky dolls for me. As always, you're amazingly creative.:) And I adore your page in the circle journal.

Deanne said...

I love your doll. I can see why it would be hard to part with!

LeaAnn said...

Thanks Ren and Deanne. I'm having a great time with these. I think I have the eyes down a bit better on the second one. It doesn't look so much like a zombie. Tori says it's scary! Wonder if there is a mold for Native American heads.

Anonymous said...

It's funny that you knew you weren't creative. As your daughter, I always thought my mom was creative. After all, I still have the dollhouse you made for me when I was three. You always had great ideas when I was stumped while trying to make something. Love the doll!

LeaAnn said...

The dollhouse was pretty creative considering all I had to work with was the back of an old toybox and a hacksaw blade, just the blade and some elmers. But....it was something that I copied from seeing other dollhouses, not something I thought up. I guess that's the difference. I could always make Halloween costumes and stuff without patterns and search out 'found' objects to use when you wanted to create a specific thing but I never considered them my ideas. Hmm, Maybe they were but since I knew that I wasn't creative, I didn't think they were. Or maybe I had an idea in my head of what being creative was, like drawing and painting, both of which I still don't attempt, unless it's on the hurricane plywood covering the windows. :)
But I'm glad that you always thought I was.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the doll, very cool. I was telling Chico you and my mom could have taught art/craft classes together and never run out of projects to do. I think the hardest thing about getting started "being creative" is giving yourself the time and freedom to try.

LeaAnn said...

Well, I might see myself as creative now but nowhere near talented. :) Your mom on the other hand, was very talented and patient. I don't have patience. I want things finished fast, if it takes longer than a day, forget it! I think you're right, giving yourself the time and freedom to try is the key.