Sunday, November 05, 2006

Analogies

"The BUZZARD
If you put a buzzard in a pen that is 6 feet by 8 feet and is entirely open at the top, the bird, in spite of its ability to fly, will be an absolute prisoner. The reason is that a buzzard always begins a flight from the ground with a run of 10 to 12 feet. Without space to run, as is it's habit, it will not even attempt to fly, but will remain a prisoner for life in a small jail with no top."

I received the above in an email today and thought I'd change it around a bit.

If you put a child in a classroom for 12+ years that is oh..about 20 ft by 20 ft, with a doorway and windows and many rules, the child, in spite of knowing they can get out through those exits, will be an absolute prisoner. The reason is that a child will know that going out the door is not allowed nor is gazing out the windows and imagining what's out there. Without space and time to be, to dream, to experiment, to listen to their own bodies, to think their own thoughts and find their own passions, most children will remain a prisoner in a jail of rules and the thoughts of others for years, if not a lifetime.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has been proven to me! Very well put LeaAnn.

Anonymous said...

Awesom analogy! Chillingly and sorrowfully true.

Anonymous said...

That was awesome. I'm in Pensacola too. Ren has told me about you before and I've procrastinated much to long in getting around to meeting you. My email is sereneaspirations@yahoo.com and here is my blog... ourunschoolingjourney.blogspot.com if you'd like to just drop me yours. We're going on vacation this week but if you have time maybe we can get together in September sometime. My children are 8(dd) and 12(ds).